Early childhood is a crucial time for a person’s development and learning. The period from birth to eight years old is a time where brain development is at its peak and the human body and mind go through a lot of growth. During this stage, children are highly influenced by their environment and the people that surround them, as well as the activities they undertake and the tools they are given to learn. Giving children a quality educational experience early on can have great influence over their futures, giving them vital skills that they can use later on in life – such as communication, problem solving and confidence.
The Montessori theory of learning was created by an Italian teacher and physician, Maria Montessori. It is an approach to learning which emphasizes active learning, independence and working with a child’s unique pace of development. The theory understands that children are inherently curious and learning driven, always wanting to explore and discover new things, and thus uses that curiosity as the core of its foundations.
The key components and principles of the theory are as follows:
- Respect for the child – adults must respect their child’s learning pace and freedom, allowing them to make their own choices and mistakes while playing.
- The absorbent mind – children learn by being part of the environment and by doing rather than being taught. Therefore, hands-on learning and free exploration should be encouraged.
- Sensitive periods – children have key moments in their development where they are able to learn and move on to new skills and learning.
- The prepared environment – giving children the tools they need and creating a welcoming environment for them is key to allowing them to have the best learning experience.
- Autoeducation – children should be able to teach themselves without adults stepping in. Children often learn in multi-age groups, thus able to assist each other in their learning processes.
Inspired by the Montessori theory, Lalaboom playsets help children discover and develop their essential motor skills at their own pace. Lalaboom’s toys provide children with the opportunity to learn through play. Their simple shapes allow children from the age of 10 months to practise and acquire the skills that are essential to their development. The beads in the Lalaboom range offer a variety of functions. Kids will love clipping, twisting, opening, lacing and stacking these beads, enjoying the sounds and shapes that they can make, while learning without even realising it!
Playing with these beads in these ways, as well as building and creating constructions can greatly stimulate a child’s concentration, imagination and motor skills. The many features of Lalaboom toys require children to make use of their cognitive functions such as attention, perception, memory or reasoning. As the play is creative and imaginative, with no rules or structure, parents are free to leave their child to develop their talents naturally, giving them the freedom to grow and learn at their own pace and comfort level. Lalaboom beads are directly inspired by nature, with unique flower like designs and shapes. The beads will stimulate children’s senses with their unique design, that they may even recognise from nature. The products also have around 13 different textures – perfect for exploring with touch.
Part of the Montessori method is the acceptance that every child develops uniquely and at a different pace. Parents should be patient and understanding when it comes to educating their children. By using the Montessori theory as part of the foundation of its products, Lalaboom encourages and nurtures the individual and natural learning curve of each child. Check out the range of Lalaboom construction toys at Baby Brands Direct, a leading UK wholesaler of baby and nursery products.